Bhaktapur means "the city of devotess" in the Sanskrit language.
It is also known as Bhadgaon and was founded by in 889 AD by King Anand Dev.
Today it covers an area of four square miles and is flanked by Khasa Khusung
and Hanumante Rivers. The palace complex in the middle of the city portrays the
prosperity of the Malla years and the details at which the craftspeople then worked.
The Palace of Fifty-five Windows stands in the square and it was home to many kings of Bhaktapur.
They even ruled over Kathmandu and Patan from the twelth century to the 14th century.
The massive gate to the square was made by King Bhupatindra Malla (1696 to 1722) who took pride in
his own engineering and building skills. His skills must have been impressive indeed as the gate,
though it looks small now, was among the biggest in the valley and daunted many an enmy. It is sturdy
even now and stands firmly. Among the other monuments in Bhaktapur are the big bell, the Golden Gate,
the five-tiered temple of Nyatapola, the Bhairab Temple, and the Dattatreya Square with its woodcarving
and metalwork museums. Surounded by beautiful farming area, the traveler to Bhaktapur will easily fall in love
with the city. Bhaktapur is perhaps the most popular of the three Newar towns of the Kathmandu Valley. Newar art and
architecture here rival the best craftsmanship of the Malla period (from the 12th to the 18th century). Though a massive
earthquake of 1934 destroyed many temples, bahals (monastery courtyards), and residences, the city is still a living proof
of the highest craft standards in this part of the world. As the visitor wanders through narrow brick paved streets, many alleys
will show hidden shrines and statues. Clay craftmanship as well as cloth weaving is still practiced here very much as in
the past. Fourteen kilometers east of Kathmandu, this peaceful, conservative town stands in sharp contrast to the bustle of its two